Thank you for expressing interest in attending one of the United States Military Academies. By contacting my office, you have taken the first step towards a future of tough challenges and great rewards. Our United States Military Academies will push you to reach your full potential, both mentally and physically, while giving you the education and skills needed to serve your country as an officer. I commend you for your interest in this opportunity.
Applicants should begin the nomination process in the summer before their senior year of high school. To start the application process you should contact the academies you would like to attend and ask them to start a pre-candidate file for you. You should then contact my office in addition to Senator Murray’s office and your Congressional Representative’s office and request a nomination.
The admission process for Military Academies is extremely competitive and my evaluation takes several factors into account. I look for applicants displaying leadership, academic achievement, athletic ability, and strength of character. Successful past nominees have demonstrated these traits through involvement in their communities, while also distinguishing themselves academically. Your initiation of the nomination process has placed you among excellent company and I look forward to reviewing your application.
Nomination Application Process
All materials must be complete and received by November 29, 2013. No late materials will be considered. We must receive your official SAT or ACT score sheets from the College Board before the deadline.
- Online Application
- Request to have your official SAT and/or ACT scores sent to my office. (SAT code: 0227, ACT code: 7193). Only official copies of scores received before the application deadline will be considered.
- In one envelope, mail the following materials:
- Basic Information Form
- Sealed and Certified Copy of your High School Transcript.
- Three Letters of Recommendation.
- List of Activities (please include your name).
- A One Page Essay answering the following question: What does a career of military service mean to you?
- A Printed Copy of Your Online Application
- Photo (optional)
U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell
ATTN: Academy Nominations
950 Pacific Avenue, Suite 615
Tacoma, WA 98402
You may be contacted after our academy board selection for a personal interview as a final step to the application process. Interviews will take place in January, 2014, prior to our academy notification deadlines. You will be contacted by phone if an interview is necessary.
Please direct any questions to Senator Cantwell's Seattle office at (206) 220-6400.